By placing any type of mushrooms in the sunlight for any amount of time you can increase the levels of vitamin d in the mushrooms. Humans are able to absorb the vitamin d absorbed by the mushrooms. Here’s how to do it:
- Obtain fresh Organic shiitake, maitake, button, oyster, shimeji or other mushrooms.
- On a sunny day in June, July or August, slice the fresh mushrooms. Place them evenly on a tray exposed directly to the sun from 10 am to 4 pm.
- Before nightfall, cover the mushrooms with a layer of cardboard to block moisture from dewfall.
- The next clear day repeat exposure to the sun from 10 am to 4 pm.
- Remove the mushrooms and finish drying (if necessary in a food dehydrator until they are crispy).
- When thoroughly dry, store in a glass jar or sealed container. Adding a tablespoon of uncooked rice as a moisture absorber will help keep the mushrooms dry. The mushrooms should be good for a year or more, depending upon conditions.
- Take 10 grams daily per person, about a small handful. Rehydrate in water for one hour. The mushrooms will swell. Then cook as desired.
Visit: http://www.fungi.com/blog/items/place-mushrooms-in-sunlight-to-get-your-vitamin-d.html for more in depth information!